Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Another Saggar Shino test

Malcolm Davis Shino saggar fired to Cone 8 in an electric kiln. I only put one piece of charcoal and about 1/3 cup of wood chips per saggar this time. The glaze was brushed on the outside of these pots. I poured Penn State Shino inside.

The only carbon trapping on the left cup was on the handle, which was right above the lump of charcoal. I guess I need to make sure to spread the charcoal out and I should probably use one and a half or two lumps in that saggar next time.



The other side of the cup on the right has almost no color (it all looks like the far right of the cup in the image above). The saggar it was in is a bit larger that the sagger used for the cup on the left and the charcoal and almost all of the wood chips were on the side that got color. I'll definitely put two lumps of charcoal in that one next time and make sure to spread the wood chips around better. It's kind of amazing to me that the atmosphere in a small sealed saggar would be so strongly affected by where the combustibles were located.

By the way, I was able to save the fiber blankets from both saggars this time by peeling them off the tops of the saggars very slowly and carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment