Wednesday, July 3, 2013

More fun with SiC


This was kind of interesting. Although the art center fires Cone 10 Reduction, the reduction doesn't generally happen at the right time for copper red glazes. Since I have a bunch of very fine Silicon Carbide, I decided to try a copper red. Because it's one of the few without Barium, Zinc, or Gerstley Borate, I picked Currie Flambe for my first attempt.

Currie Flambe

39.2Minspar 200 (NC-4)
12Whiting
27.2Silica
0.4Kaolin
21.2Frit 3134
1Tin
1Copper Carb
2Bentonite (I skipped, but shouldn't have)
---
To this I added:
0.5Silicon Carbide 1600 mesh

I first tried this on the inside of a pair of espresso cups in white stoneware and the glaze turned out purple with green spots. It was interesting so I tried it on a large porcelain bowl. Same result exactly. The outside of the bowl is Yellow Salt. Kind of cool how the Flambe ran down into the Yellow Salt. There is some VC AA Green sponged over the Yellow Salt in case you look closely and are wondering where the green came from...

No comments:

Post a Comment